The event: Vancouver Half-Marathon
When: June 24, 2012


Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 4

14 Weeks Until the Race

This won't be my first half-marathon.  That took place last year, on the numerically excellent 10/10/10 in Victoria.  I ran alone but had a gold-star cheering team snapping pics, boosting morale, and treating me to breakfast afterwards.
The goal for that race was to not die.  Goal met.  Plus, I got a medal.  All finishers did, regardless of time, but still, I got a medal.  Finished with a chip-time of 2:12, which respectably placed me smack in the middle of my age group.  
For this next race, I'm aiming for a sub-2 race.  Yes, that's right, I use running lingo now.  Considering that my training for the first race was a little spotty and erratic, particularly towards the end, I think I have a good chance of reaching this new goal.

Today's Run:  30 minutes through Rathtrevor Park.

I never grow tired of this place, even when it's trails are flooded and the wind is steely.  I've run there in every season and in all kinds of weather:
- muddy spring runs along trillium and daffodil trails
- 6am summer runs to beat the heat and the bulk of camping folk, who at that time are either still sleeping or making the woods smell wonderfully coffee-ish and bacon-y
- glowing fall runs when it's possible to see the sunrise without getting out of bed before 7am
- and most recently, crunchy winter runs where the contrast of red roseships against a backdrop of blue sky and white snow almost stopped me in my tracks

There have also been remarkable encounters with eagles, fearless deer, flyers of kites, a Barn owl, and a startled park worker manning a leaf blower.

Running Rathrevor never feels like work, even on the gray days. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Janet, good for you!

    I'm so impressed with your goal-setting abilities! Sounds like writing a thesis equals transferable skills after all... I'm looking forward to reading your posts and feeling inspired.

    PS: I'm also impressed with your plant knowledge - Trillium?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I love running on the galloping goose when I'm home visiting mom and dad. I wish I was right next to Jericho...I have no good running trails next to my place! boo hoo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... coffee-ish and bacon-y... how evocative, I can smell it!

    ReplyDelete