The event: Vancouver Half-Marathon
When: June 24, 2012


Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 26

If ever there was a day to skip a run, today was it.  Cozied up in bed this morning, I heard the rain and wind before I opened my eyes.  When I pulled up the shades, a tempest of a day greeted me.  Seagulls were getting tossed.  The ocean was whitecapping.  The rain was coming in sideways on a sharp northerly wind.
I went back to bed and watched it all from my warm, dry nest. 
But then I saw them.  Other runners.  Getting their runs done.  And they all looked significantly older than me.  And significantly fitter.
And so this time, it was less the shame of not reporting a run than the competitive edge supplied by indefatigable fellow runners that got me out there:

70 minutes of mixed trail and road running, with lots of puddle-jumping, and towards the end, a little puddle- ploughing.

And it was invigorating, in a pelting, biting sort of way.

Thanks, fellow runners, you crazy beautiful people.

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive that you got out there for a 70 minute run in this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was feeling extra-pleased with myself, I won't lie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually LOVE to run in the rain...something so satisfying about it! And puddle jumping ads a little childlike wonder to your day :)

    ReplyDelete