The event: Vancouver Half-Marathon
When: June 24, 2012


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 20

Hill Run

This morning, I got in 5 repeats of the Rathtrevor Hill.  This hill is part of the road leading into Rathtrevor Park.  Driving up or down said hill, you might think, "No big deal."  But it becomes more impressive when you run repeats on it, trust me.  At my steady tortoise pace, it takes me about 2 minutes to run up this hill, which is a recommended hill length in standard training programs.

Many runners loathe the hill portion of their training regimens.  I kind of love the hills.  Maybe not in the actual moment, but right afterwards, when I'm running the straight stretch home.  Hills make my lungs and legs feel awesome and I'm peppy for the rest of the day (not a general state of being for me).

The plan is to include one hill run every 2 weeks until the race, raising the bar by one repeat each time.  This means I should build up to 10 hill repeats before the race.  

Kind of a weird thing to look forward to, I know, but this whole running thing has been a bit of a surprise all round.

"We're trying this new fad called, uh, 'jogging'.  I believe it's 'jogging', or 'yawging', it might be a soft j, I'm not sure.  Apparently you just run for an extended period of time.  It's supposed to be wild." 
                                    - Ron Burgundy

3 comments:

  1. Any post that quotes Ron Burgundy is a good post! Congrats on the hill running you crazy runner who likes hills, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. running becomes addictive, eh? Wow, I miss it so much but plan on getting back into it properly when my knee has healed! keep up the good work Jane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys :)

    I hope your knee heals up quickly, K-dawg!

    ReplyDelete