The event: Vancouver Half-Marathon
When: June 24, 2012


Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Catch-Up

Day 46, April 20:
30-minute run around the UBC Endowment Lands and Golf Course.

Day 43, April 17:
40-minute tempo run in Rathtrevor Park, during which I freaked out a bunny so badly he jumped off a bridge and into a pond to escape my thundering feet (it's ok - bunnies can swim!).


Day 41, April 15:
70-minute long run through Rathtrevor. No bunnies were harmed, physically or psychologically, during this run.


Day 39, April 13:
25-minute interval run with 9 speed repeats.

After reading a number of articles on half-marathon training, I realize I should probably be counting out my runs in kilometres rather than minutes, but that would require a fancier watch than I own. I'm not a big fan of endeavours that require a lot of gear.  Running can be a beautifully simple sport: a solid sports bra and a decent pair of shoes, and I'm good to go.    
But my one concession to running culture merchandise is the magazines.  I like them.  They inspire me.  Also, they are shiny. 
I like to read them over morning tea, even though I know I should be reading the newspaper. Current events publications tend to get me down. Being informed is one thing, but starting the day incapacitated with anxiety about the state of the world is another.  It does me little good to know that yet another bomb has decimated more lives.  But when I read about a race that winds through apple orchards in September and awards pies to top-placing finishers, the future feels friendlier.
Running isn't going to cure the world of fundamentalist wing-nuts with a penchant for flammable things, but I like knowing we also live in a world where people hand out pies after races.

2 comments:

  1. Glad the running is going so well Janet! I just caught up on the posts I had missed and had a good laugh... you have a way with words! I also remember the milk runs; terrible idea, terrible name. Pies, however, sound amazing.

    I'm trying to channel the inspiration I feel when I read your blog into getting out there and running. My excuses so far are the air quality and yellow dust, but really I'm just lazy. Go Janet go!

    ReplyDelete