The event: Vancouver Half-Marathon
When: June 24, 2012


Sunday, May 8, 2011

"Uncle"

And so, I admit defeat.  Trying to be a farmer and a runner is not, at the moment, a realistic venture.  It was an awesome first week of work, but it was exhausting, too, and I barely made it through a 40-minute run this weekend and managed a total of zero runs during the week.

The idea of logging the necessary half-marathon 90-minute-and longer training runs in the next two months while also getting farm-strong makes me feel woozy.

Instead, my longterm goal this summer now is to get back up to running two or three times a week.  As things stand, my short term goal is to manage any other activity besides farming and falling asleep at 8:30pm every night. 

If my fitness shapes up in the next few months, I may aim to run a sub-2 in the same Victoria Half-Marathon that I ran last October.  If not, I'll run as much as possible this summer while maintaining a useful amount of energy for my job, and shoot for another race at another time. 

Running is about the love, not about the punishment.  It kept me sane and healthy this past winter while I was planning and applying and waiting and pacing.  I won't be giving it up. 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely don't give it up! I'm sure you will adapt to the farm work and eventually have energy for both! :)

    ReplyDelete